Application Guidelines for a Full-time Faculty Position (without tenure)
Office of International Research Exchange
International Research Center for Japanese Studies (Nichibunken)
Position title: Assistant Professor
Number of positions: One position
The Office of International Research Exchange is primarily involved in working with overseas institutions and scholars to plan, prepare, and hold scholarly gatherings. Duties include:
- Carrying out the international research exchange programs implemented by the International Research Center for Japanese Studies
- Keeping abreast of trends within the research community of Japan scholars in Japan and abroad and related research support
- Planning, coordination, and research to strengthen the capacity of international research exchange
Proficiency in both Japanese and English for handling administrative matters (any nationality is welcome)
Ph.D. degree or equivalent research profile
Experience in conducting research on Japan at an overseas academic organization
Experience involving international scholarly exchange
Starting date: October 1, 2017
The term of office is three years, which is re-assignable. However, reappointment shall be limited to one time and the term of reappointment shall be two years.
Documents to be submitted:
- Curriculum vitae. You may use the form that can be downloaded from the website of the International Research Center for Japanese Studies (consisting of 2 sheets)
- List of research accomplishments and examples of three key publications (books, articles, etc.: photocopies are acceptable)
- List of experience/activities involving internationalresearchexchange
- Statement explaining your interest in and aspirations regarding international research exchange (1000-1500 words)
- Two letters of recommendation
- Photocopy of Ph.D. diploma
We will review the submitted documents. Depending on the results of the review, we will conduct an interview if necessary. In that case, please understand that we do not provide travel expenses.
Office of International Research Exchange, International Research Center for Japanese Studies, Kyoto
In principle, 8 hours or less a day, 5 days a week (total of 40 hours or less a week)
Salary and benefits:
Determined in accordance with the regulations of the National Institute for Humanities
Health insurance (Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology Mutual Aid Association), welfare annuity, and unemployment insurance will be provided in accordance with the regulations of the National Institute for Humanities.
Deadline for applications:
All application materials must arrive by April 20, 2017 (5:00 p.m. JST)
Applications should be sent by postal mail.
Address for submission of application materials/enquiries:
Office of International Research Exchange Faculty Search Committee
General Affairs Division (Attn: Personnel Section)
International Research Center for Japanese Studies
3-2 Oeyama-cho Goryo
Nishikyo-ku, Kyoto 610-1192
*All materials should be placed in an envelope with “Application for Faculty Position in Office of Research Exchange” marked in red.
Tel 81-75-335-2014 (international) or 075-335-2014 (domestic)
Email: jinji*nichibun.ac.jp （Please replace “*” with “@”）
All personal information submitted will be used strictly for the purpose of candidate selection and will not be disclosed to any third party without just cause.
*The International Research Center for Japanese Studies is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty in order to promote globalization and gender equality.