Call for papers— “Japan: Premodern, Modern, and Contemporary”
Bucharest, 1-3 September 2016
The Faculty of Foreign Languages and Literatures (Japanese Department) at the “Dimitrie Cantemir” Christian University (Bucharest, Romania), with the support of its collaborators from Kobe University, Kyoto University and Kanda University of International Studies, is pleased to announce the fourth international conference “Japan: Premodern, Modern, and Contemporary—A Return Trip from the East to the West. Learning in, about and from Japan”, to be held on September 1-3, 2016 in Bucharest, Romania. Following the format of the previous conferences (2011, 2014, 2015), we encourage those interested to submit papers on any topics related to Japan, with a special focus on the migration of knowledge, culture and people between East and West, and the mutual influences and transformations it engendered. The topics of the conference include, but are not limited to:
- Literary studies
- History and (inter)cultural studies
- Language studies and linguistics
- Mythology and Folklore
Professor Emerita Joy HENDRY (Oxford Brookes University)
Dr. Erin Brightwell (University of Michigan)
Prof. Emma Morita (Kindai University)
Guidelines for submission
- The language for presentation will be English, but papers may also be given in Japanese, on condition that the presenter provides PowerPoint slides or detailed handouts in English.
- Individual presentations will be 20 minutes long, followed by 10 minutes for discussion with the floor; proposals should be up to 300 words. Each proposal should include the name, title and affiliation of the presenter.
- Panels should have at least three members (three presenters or two presenters and a discussant) and a maximum of four members (four presenters or three presenters and a discussant). Panel proposals should include the title of the panel and a general abstract of up to 300 words, plus a 250-word abstract for each paper. The name, title, and affiliation of each member should also be included.
- Submission deadline is May 15, 2016. Selection results will be announced on May 31, 2016.
- Proposals for virtual presentations via Skype will also be considered. The submission guidelines and procedures are the same as for regular presentations (see above). Please mention in your application that you will be presenting via the internet.
- Please send your proposals (as Word file or PDF attachments) and any inquiries to: firstname.lastname@example.org
A selection of the presented papers will be published in the Annals of the Faculty of Foreign Languages and Literatures of “Dimitrie Cantemir” Christian University (IDB indexed journal).
There is no participation fee.
Further information can be found at: https://ucdcjstudiesconf.wordpress.com/
We look forward to seeing you in Bucharest!