Employer: University of New Mexico
Deadline: Jan. 17, 2016
Education: BA required, MA preferred
Department Global Education Office
Posting Number: 0833003
Position Summary: The University of New Mexico (UNM) Global Education Office is pleased to announce the opening of (2) International Program Advisor positions within its International Student & Scholar Services unit. These positions provide a range of administrative/regulatory advisement and informational support services related to international programs for the over 1,500 international students and scholars from 99 countries on UNM’s main campus.
International Program Advisors provide individual advisement to international students regarding regulatory/administrative issues such as maintenance of legal status while holding a student visa, travel outside the US, extensions/changes of status, and bringing family members into the country. International Program Advisors prepare and process official government documents pertaining to incoming international students and scholars; communicate with departments regarding these documents and regulatory requirements; and assist with U.S. Department of Homeland Security tracking and reporting requirements, to include data entry and collecting and analyzing data.
In addition, International Program Advisors play an important role in the development, implementation, and marketing of international student and scholar orientation programs and other practical, social, or cultural activities and workshops. Under supervision, may recommend and process student work authorizations. International Program Advisors will perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements of the position:
- Candidates must be available for flexible work hours to include occasional evenings and weekends.
- A position-specific pre-employment background check is a requirement of the position.
- Candidates must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
Minimum Qualifications: Completed degree(s) from an accredited institution that are above the minimum education requirement may be substituted for experience on a year for year basis.
Bachelor’s degree; at least 1 year of experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
Preferred Qualifications: Experience:
- 1 to 3 years of experience working as an international student/scholar advisor
- 1 to 3 years of experience in an international or multi-cultural setting
- 1 to 3 years of experience working in a higher education environment
- 1 to 3 years of experience in public speaking or teaching
Federal regulations governing non-immigrant students and visitors
The Department of Homeland Security’s SEVIS system
- Master’s degree
- Demonstrated ability to efficiently complete detail-oriented work with a high degree of accuracy
- Demonstrated proficiency using software applications including databases, word processing, online calendars, email, web content management systems and internet applications
- Demonstrated proficiency in using SEVIS and accurately processing data between databases
- Proficiency in English and at least one additional language
- Excellent organizational and time management skills, with ability to independently set priorities, coordinate and complete a number of competing assignments within established deadlines
- Excellent analytical skills, with the ability to investigate, assemble, analyze, interpret, and apply information from a wide variety of sources
Full details on UNM’s website.