Employer: Human Rights Watch
Deadline: 10 January 2016
FIXED-TERM JOB VACANCY
Development and Outreach Department(Tokyo Office)
Development and Outreach Department of Human Rights Watch (“HRW”) is seeking an Officer to provide administrative assistance in the Tokyo office. The Tokyo office is the base for HRW’s development, fundraising, and outreach activities in Japan. The position will begin in February and last until June 2016. The Officer will report to the Director of Development Operations, based in New York and Associate Director of Special Events, based in London.
Special Events (70%)
1. Assist in the planning and implementation of the portfolio of major organizational fundraising, cultivation and outreach events, including but not limited to the Voices for Justice Annual Dinners held throughout the year as well as the annual Council Summit;
2. Support the project management of the Defender Tour, an international tour of human rights activists honored during the HRW Annual Dinners;
3. Provide ongoing logistical, technical, and administrative guidance and occasional onsite support for designated events;
4. Coordinate assigned event-related tasks including creating and maintaining accurate budgets, comprehensive timelines and detailed logistical plans;
5. Assist in the evaluation of designated events to identify best practices and lessons learned;
6. Act as the primary Special Events team liaison for departmental colleagues in designated cities;
7. Recruit and supervise interns based in the Tokyo office as needed; and
8. Perform other duties as required.
Development Operations (30%)
1. Collaborate with Development and Finance staff and provide Raiser’s Edge & Salesforce database entry/training/support/reports, primarily for HRW’s offices in Japan and Australia;
2. Maintain the data integrity of the Salesforce, Raiser’s Edge, and eCRM email databases through regular records cleanup, and perform other data updates;
3. Acknowledge and enter donations in database when required; and
4. Perform other duties as required.
Education: A bachelor’s degree, preferably in international relations, social sciences or computer sciences is required.
Experience: A minimum of 4 years of relevant, full-time work experience is required.
Related Skills and Knowledge:
1. Prior office/administration experience and strong organizational skills with meticulous attention to detail are required.
2. Excellent written and oral communication skills in English and Japanese are required; knowledge of Korean is desirable.
3. Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate with a variety of audiences, including global staff and donors, are required.
4. Ability to work well under pressure while juggling multiple tasks simultaneously is required.
5. Ability to prioritize with minimal supervision and work independently as well as function as a member of a team with staff in multiple locations globally is required.
6. Proficiency in computer packages including MS Office applications is required.
7. Experience with Raiser’s Edge, Salesforce, and/or an online eCRM database is desirable.
8. Experience living, working, studying abroad, or navigating other cultures is highly desirable.
Other: Applicants for this position must possess current Japanese work authorization valid for a minimum of two years from start date.
Salary and Benefits: HRW seeks exceptional applicants and offers comprehensive compensation and benefits.
Work Conditions:This position is a fixed-term position. Working hours start at 9:30 and end at 18:30. Recess period is from 12:00 to 13:00. Holidays shall be: Saturdays and Sundays; Japanese national holidays; and other temporary holidays granted according to HRW Japan’s direction. Overtime pay is not available unless provided for by local law, however, comp time may be granted at the discretion of the supervisor. The Officer will be eligible to Japanese social security (health insurance, employee pension, worker’s compensation and other applicable insurance).