Founded in 1907, New York’s, Japan Society is an internationally recognized nonprofit, nonpolitical organization that provides access to information on Japan, offers opportunities to experience Japanese culture, and fosters sustained and open dialogue on issues important to the United States, Japan, and East Asia.
Performing Arts Program Assistant
Reporting to the Artistic Director, the Performing Arts Program Assistant assists in all aspects of the Performing Arts Program’s activities and program-wide coordination, including program planning, fundraising, marketing & PR, and performance production preparations and executions. Working closely with the Artistic Director (AD), Deputy Director of Performing Arts (DD) and Performing Arts Program Officer (PO), specific duties include: coordinating travel arrangements for performers; obtaining performance visas and processing waivers of tax withdrawal for non-American performers; obtaining PR materials from Japanese artists and translating Japanese materials into English; preparation of grant reports for funds raised from grant-making organizations in Japan; audience outreach (including NY-based Japanese communities); recruiting and training interns and volunteer ushers; Raisers Edge maintenance for PA’s contacts; maintenance of archives, press book and tracking; responding to performing arts related inquires received in Japanese language; coordinating business travel arrangements for AD and departmental staff, and other administrative duties.
- BA required, or the equivalent combination of education and experience
- English-Japanese bilingual with strong writing skills in Japanese language
- Excellent communication skills and customer services skills in both languages
- Excellent organizational skills
- 1-2 years of experience in the area of non-for-profit performing arts is preferred
- Familiarity with and/or deep interests in performing arts is preferred. Knowledge of
- Japanese performing arts is a plus
- Business experience in Japan is a plus
- Computer literacy (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Raisers Edge). Familiarity with Mac-OS video editing is a plus)
- Excellent research skills
- Ability to work in fast-paced environment
- Flexible schedule to work in evenings and weekends to attend Performing Arts
- Program’s events and its related events