Based in the Department of History, this position oversees all internal and external communications activities for the journal “Positions: Asia Critique”. The Journal Coordinator serves as the liaison with the journal publisher, Duke University Press, and duties include interacting with persons submitting and reviewing articles, editing, fact-checking, proofreading, and copy-editing of manuscripts. This person also facilitates the manuscript submission process and manages production schedules. This position is responsible for all record-keeping and reporting for the journal as well as routine administrative and financial tasks.
HS Diploma or equivalent
Bachelor’s degree in English, journalism, women and gender studies or related field preferred.
Type of Experience
Related experience in professional writing, editing and media management.
Substitution for Experience Requirement
Education may not be substituted for the experience requirement.
Experience editing and working on a scholarly journal publication.
- Demonstrated proficiency in writing.
- Outstanding communication skills; excellent and detailed command of grammar, spelling, punctuation and editing skills.
- Ability to work independently with shifting priorities; excellent organizational skills and follow through on projects; ability to adhere to strict deadlines.
- Detail oriented in ability to track documents and their progress towards completion.
- Strong capacity to manage a business office.
- Excellent listening and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated computer, Internet, and web design and/or management skills as in ability to update websites, edit HTML and manage on-line databases.
- Advanced training and experience using standard office software packages.
- Employee must be willing to learn new technologies and improve existing resources such as websites, blogsites, and twitter feeds.
- Strong interest in East Asian and Asian American studies.
- Familiarity with Humanities scholarship in Asia studies helpful but not required.
- Familiarity with publishing protocols or experience in publishing.