CALL FOR PAPERS
The Faculty of Foreign Languages and Literatures (Japanese Department) at the “Dimitrie Cantemir” Christian University (Bucharest, Romania), with the support of its collaborators from
Kyoto University and Osaka University (Japan), is pleased to announce organizing the third edition of the conference “Japan: Pre-modern, Modern and Contemporary—A Return Trip from the
East to the West. Learning in, about and from Japan”, on September 9-11, 2015 in Bucharest, Romania. We encourage those interested to submit papers on any topics related to Japan, with a special focus on the migration of knowledge, culture and people between East and West, and the mutual influences and transformations it engendered.
The topics of the conference include, but are not limited to:
• Literary studies
• History and (inter)cultural studies
• Language studies and linguistics
• Mythology and Folklore
A selection of papers will be published in the Annals of the Faculty of Foreign Languages and Literatures of “Dimitrie Cantemir” Christian University (IDB indexed journal). There is no participation fee.
Opening keynote lecture: Professor Yasusuke OURA (Institute for Research in Humanities, Kyoto University) – “LITERARY AND ART THEORY IN JAPAN”
Guidelines for submission
1. The language for presentation will be English, but papers may also be given in Japanese, on condition that the presenter provides PowerPoint slides or detailed handouts in English.
2. Individual presentations will be 20 minutes long, followed by 10 minutes for discussion with the floor; proposals should be up to 300 words. Each proposal should include the name, title and affiliation of the presenter.
3. Panels should have at least three members (three presenters or two presenters and a discussant) and a maximum of four members (four presenters or three presenters and a discussant). Panel proposals should include the title of the panel and a general abstract of up to 300 words, plus a 250-word abstract for each paper. The name, title and affiliation of each member should also be included.
4. Submission deadline is June 30. Selection results will be announced on July 15.
5. Please send your proposals (as Word file or PDF attachments) and any inquiries to:
Further information can be found at: https://ucdcjstudiesconf.wordpress.com/
We look forward to seeing you in Bucharest!