Up to 5 positions available.
Roger Williams University, located on the coast of Bristol, R.I., is a forward-thinking private university with 45 undergraduate majors spanning the liberal arts and the professions, where students become community-minded citizens through project-based, experiential learning. With small classes, direct access to faculty and boundless opportunity for real-world projects, RWU students develop the ability to think critically while simultaneously building the practical skills that today’s employers demand. In the two years since launching its signature Affordable Excellence initiative, the University has established itself as a leader in American higher education by confronting the most pressing issues facing students and families – increasing costs that limit access to college, rising debt and the job readiness of graduates. In addition to its 4,000 undergraduates, RWU is home to more than a dozen graduate programs, a thriving School of Continuing Studies based in Providence as well as Rhode Island’s only law school.
Roger Williams University is committed to creating and supporting an intellectual community devoted to teaching and learning and providing the opportunity for personal and intellectual growth for students, faculty and staff. The University credits much of its growth and success to the hard work and dedication of its employees.
Under the direction of the Director of International Program Development, the Summer Global Institute Residential Program Assistant (RPA) performs a variety of duties related to the internal program administration for the Summer Global Institute program. The RPA provides support to the Director and other program staff and faculty with the implementation and operation of the University’s Summer Global Leadership Institute.
Essential functions of this position include but are not limited to:
- Assist the Director of International Program Development and staff in facilitating the University Summer Global Institute participants’ engagement with program activities;
- Reside with and assist participants during the residency segment of Institute;
- Help participants become familiar with the Roger Williams University campus and community resources as well as advise and refer participants to appropriate resources or staff, as necessary;
- Be available for informal interaction with participants and coordinate social activities for participants during their free time. Assist in escorting group(s) during field programs;
- Assist in escorting participants during medical or other off campus engagement, as needed.
- In addition, the RPA will respect and maintain confidentiality, parameters of operation, professional protocols, and individual privacy.
There are up to 5 available positions to be filled for this full-time, summer position for varying durations. Schedule and hours vary. The RPA will be supporting students from China, Japan, and/or Brazil. Housing and a meal plan will be provided.
Knowledge of the RWU campus is required. Candidates must be extremely responsible and able to apply mature judgment in a peer mentorship context. Strong interpersonal skills are necessary, especially in intercultural context as well as attention to detail and the ability to multitask during a fast-paced program. Self-motivation and the ability to manage challenges as they arise is required. To be successful in this position, candidates must have a strong interest in international issues.
Working knowledge of a foreign language is a plus. Experience engaging with international students and programs is preferred.