Deadline: May 28, 2015
Limited to British citizens
Number of scholarships: 6
The Daiwa Anglo-Japanese Foundation is pleased to announce the launch of the Daiwa Scholarships in Japanese Studies, a postgraduate programme to support the study of Japanese Studies in either Japan or the UK.
We gratefully acknowledge additional support for this programme from Daiwa Securities Group Inc.
The intention is to support six individuals in any given year, of whom at least three must study full-time at a university in Japan.
Applications are now invited for the Programme’s first year.
Candidates for the Daiwa Scholarships in Japanese Studies must be:
– British citizens
– holders of an Honours degree in Japanese Studies, defined as a course focussing primarily on the study of Japan, and containing a substantial Japanese language component
– enrolled* or enrolling in a Japanese Studies-related course in either Japan or the UK. (Applicants need not have identified a precise university, course or supervisor at the time of applying.)
*Please note that Scholarships will not be granted in arrears.
Scholarships will not be awarded to former recipients of Daiwa Scholarships or to the same individual more than once.
Condition of Scholarship
– Those Scholars affiliated to UK universities must undertake at least part of their studies in Japan.
– Scholarships will be awarded to cover the whole period required to attain the degree in question. In cases where the applicant has already begun his or her studies, the Scholarship will fund the whole remaining period required.
– The Scholarship will cover university fees for the course in question, plus living expenses. Living expenses will be payable at a rate of £1,000 per month for periods spent in the UK, and ¥260,000 per month for periods spent in Japan.
– The Foundation will pay one economy class return air fare between the UK and Japan per Scholar per annum.
– Continuation of funding will be conditional on satisfactory progress being made. Scholars will be required to submit annual progress reports to the Daiwa Anglo-Japanese Foundation.
– Amounts payable to Scholars in receipt of other funding (e.g., Great Britain-Sasakawa Foundation, JSPS, Japan Foundation, university scholarships or bursaries) will be reduced by the amount of this other funding.
– Scholarships will not be granted in arrears.
– Scholarships will not be awarded to former recipients of Daiwa Scholarships or to the same individual more than once.
Any queries can be referred to firstname.lastname@example.org.