The Chair for Global History (18th to 20th centuries) invites applications for:
Two Academic Assistants (60% PhD-positions)
History Department, University of Zurich, Switzerland
Deadline for Applications: 10 May 2015
We welcome applications from candidates who possess:
- Research interests in the history of the Asia-Pacific region from 1700 to the present
- Outstanding undergraduate and postgraduate training (including completed MA)
- Working knowledge of an East Asian language and / or another language relevant to the region
- Excellent research and organizational skills
- Commitment to develop and teach new, area-based courses within the field of Global History
Successful applicants will join one of Europe’s leading history departments (seventeen chairs), with thriving postgraduate and postdoctoral communities. The position offers attractive working conditions, including dedicated office space for the Chair of Global History, and a competitive salary. After a one-year probation, the position is renewable for the duration of the PhD (up to six years in total). Starting date 1 August 2015(negotiable).
Applicants are not expected to speak German already, but are expected to learn it during the period of their PhD studies. Shortlisted candidates will be interviewed in person or via Skype.
Please direct academic enquiries to Prof. Dr. Martin Dusinberre (email@example.com)
Please direct procedural enquiries, and completed applications, to Nadja Schorno (firstname.lastname@example.org), +41 (0)44 634 38 68
Applicants should email Nadja Schorno the following documents as a single PDF file:
- Covering Letter (in English)
- Curriculum Vitae (in English)
- Certificates of Higher Education (BA and MA academic transcripts or equivalents)
- A 500-word summary of proposed PhD topic (in English)
- A 3,000-5,000 word writing sample (in English)
Applicants should also separately arrange for two academic referees to email confidential references to Nadja Schorno by 10 May 2015.