Advises enrolled and prospective international students and works closely with the Retention Specialist. This position assists students in the selection of prerequisite coursework, creating educational and career plans, and developing college success skills. This position reports to the Director of International Programs.
- Advise international students regarding academic and professional/technical programs, admission procedures, degree requirements and transfer requirements.
- Advise students regarding assessment scores and placement.
- Assist international students in clarifying educational, career and life goals and develop individualized educational plans.
- Responsible for monitoring and tracking students’ academic progress and communicating this information directly to agents and parents according to a specific timeline.
- Advise students regarding their High School Completion plan.
- Advisor will also oversee mentors and tutors to help at risk students become successful college students.
- Plan targeted engagement activities for this group of international students on a quarterly basis.
- Participate as a team member in implementation of advising procedures and objectives.
- Collaborate with advising staff, faculty and other TCC staff to develop and implement innovative advising activities
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution (preferably in college student personnel, counseling, psychology, or closely related field).
- Two (2) or more years of full time equivalent experience working in an advising setting or closely related experience.
- Intermediate data entry, word processing and spreadsheet skills.
- Master’s degree from an accredited institution (preferably in organizational leadership, education, college student personnel, or closely related field).
- A strong understanding of student development strategies and theory.
- Experience with WA State High School diploma requirements.
- Knowledge of F-1 visa regulations.