While this position isn’t Japan-specific, UH Press publishes a lot of texts on Asian studies and APIA subjects and may be of interest to those with experience or education in communications, information/library technology, etc.
Title: Public Information, Public Events Planning and Publications (Publications Mgr)
Position Number: 0079353
Hiring Unit: UH Press
Location: Manoa, Hawai’i
Date Posted: September 13, 2013
Closing Date: October 04, 2013
Revolving Duties and Responsibilities
- Manages the conceptualization, development, maintenance and expansion of UH Press digital publishing projects, including digital-only publications, simultaneous print and digital publications, and print publications converted for digital use.
- Develop and implement short- and long-range product road-map for the division.
- Prioritizes frontlist and backlist opportunities on a seasonal and on-going basis and creates and implements a seasonal and ongoing sales plan.
- Expands markets and sales channels for non-print projects.
- Prepares, negotiates and executes sales and licensing agreements with vendors and distributors.
- Reviews and evaluates existing vendor agreements and re-negotiate terms with eBook vendors and content aggregators as needed.
- Advises and collaborates with other UH Press staff to evaluate and manage resources for conversion, enhancement, marketing, sales, intellectual property management and tracking of UH Press publications in non-print form.
- Reports on revenue, market data, and anticipated trends for digital (and other non-print) publications to UH Press management.
- Develops monthly reports to keep UH Press Director and staff apprised of progress.
- Works with Chief Financial Officer to develop procedures and systems for appropriate record-keeping related to expenses and revenues for digital publishing.
- Coordinates and oversees all IT requirements for UH Press including troubleshooting desktop systems, software and hardware systems and management.
- Acts as liaison and primary contract with UH IT Contract Services to coordinate oversight of UH Press networks, software, hardware and other IT needs for the department.
- Coordinates the development or enhancement of third party software by working with outside consultants to ensure that the software interfaces with in-house information systems.
- Maintains the highest level of integrity and confidentiality in dealing with sensitive data.
- Hires, trains and supervises student employees as necessary.
- Other duties as assigned
- Possession of a baccalaureate degree in Journalism, Communications, Business Administration, Management of Information Systems, or related field and 3 year(s) of progressively responsible professional experience with responsibilities for digital publishing and development, of which 2 years of the experience must have been comparable in scope and complexity to the next lower payband in the University of Hawai’i broadband system; or equivalent education/training or experience.
- Considerable working knowledge of principles, practices and techniques in the erable working knowledge of digital publishing and development as demonstrated by the broad knowledge of the full range of pertinent standard and evolving concepts, principles and methodologies.
- Considerable working knowledge and understanding of applicable federal and state laws, rules, regulations and theories and systems associated with digital publishing and development.
- Demonstrated ability to resolve wide ranging complex problems through the use of creative reasoning and logic to accurately determine the cause of the problems and the resolution of the problems in an effective, innovative and timely manner.
- Demonstrated ability to interpret and present information and ideas clearly and accurately in writing, verbally and by preparation of reports and other materials.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external organizations, groups, team leaders and members, and individuals.
- Demonstrated ability to operate a personal computer and apply word processing software.
- For supervisory work, demonstrated ability to lead subordinates, manage work priorities and projects, and manage employee relations.
- Any equivalent combination of education and/or professional work experience which provides the required education, knowledge, skills and abilities as indicated.
- Work experience in markets such as scholarly, scientific, and professional publishing.
- Must be well versed in digital book publishing processes and best practices.
- Strong analytical communication, critical thinking and problem solving skills.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated proficiency with XML.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with electronic book vendors.
- Experience working with title management, content management or digital asset management systems in a book publishing setting.
- Knowledge of the implementation and maintenance of XML workflows in a book publishing setting .
- Experience in mobile application development.